Preparing Your Skin for Laser Hair Removal
Laser hair removal is a popular cosmetic procedure that uses a laser to remove unwanted hair from different parts of the body. It is a safe and effective method for hair removal, but it is essential to take care of your skin before and after the procedure to protect your skin and maximize your results.
In this blog post, we will discuss why taking care of your skin before and after laser hair removal is important and what products we recommend.
Before Laser Hair Removal
Taking care of your skin before laser hair removal is important to ensure that the procedure is effective and safe. Here are some reasons why:
- Helps to prevent skin damage: If your skin is dry, irritated, sunburned, or even tanned, it may be more prone to damage during the laser hair removal procedure. Therefore, it is important to keep your skin moisturized and avoid sun exposure before the treatment.
- Reduces the risk of side effects: Proper skin care before laser hair removal can help reduce the risk of side effects such as redness, swelling, blistering, and skin discolorations.
- Improves the effectiveness of the treatment: Preparing your skin for laser hair removal can help ensure that the laser can target the hair follicles effectively, leading to better results. For example: Shaving the treatment area 12-24 hours before a treatment.
How to Prepare Your Skin Before Your Laser Hair Removal Treatment
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol: Caffeine and alcohol can dehydrate your skin, making it more sensitive and prone to irritation after laser hair removal. It is recommended that you avoid these substances for at least 24 hours before your treatment.
- Stay hydrated: Drinking plenty of water in the days leading up to your treatment can help to keep your skin hydrated and healthy. This can help to minimize dryness and irritation, which can make laser hair removal more uncomfortable.
- Moisturize the treatment area: In the days leading up to your treatment, it is important to keep the treatment area well-moisturized. This can help to reduce dryness and irritation, which can make laser hair removal more uncomfortable. Use a gentle, fragrance-free moisturizer to avoid any potential irritation.
- Avoid skin irritants: In the days leading up to your treatment, avoid using any skincare products that can irritate your skin, such as retinoids, alpha-hydroxy acids (AHAs), beta-hydroxy acids (BHAs), or Vitamin C products. These products can make your skin more sensitive and prone to irritation after laser hair removal.
How to Restore Your Skin After Your Laser Hair Removal Treatment
Taking care of your skin after laser hair removal is also crucial to ensure that you achieve the best results possible. Here's why:
Reduces histamine reactions: During laser hair removal, the laser emits a beam of light that is absorbed by the hair follicles, causing them to heat up and be destroyed. This can cause some irritation to the surrounding skin, which can trigger a histamine reaction in some people.
The symptoms of a histamine reaction after laser hair removal may include itching, redness, swelling, and hives. If you experience a histamine reaction after laser hair removal, you can use an over-the-counter antihistamine, for example, Benadryl, Zyrtec, or Allegra, to help reduce the itching and swelling.
Applying a cool compress or using soothing creams/gels to the affected area can also help to soothe the skin. Our recommended post-procedure gel is Restorative Gel, available online or in the clinic.
- Reduces discomfort: After the procedure, your skin may be red and/or sensitive. Proper skin care can help reduce discomfort and speed up the healing process.
- Reduces bacterial infections: Bacteria can enter the hair follicles that have been treated with a laser and cause infections, which can lead to discomfort and slow the healing process. The antimicrobial properties of silver, found in Restorative Gel, may help to prevent these infections and promote faster healing.
- Promotes skin healing: Laser hair removal can cause some damage to the skin. Therefore, taking care of your skin after the procedure can help to promote healing and prevent scarring.
Products We Recommend For Laser Hair Removal
We suggest using a product, such as Restorative Gel, to help calm, heal, and soothe the skin before and after your laser hair removal treatments. Restorative Gel is effective for histamine reactions, sunburns, thermal burns, razor burn, ingrown hairs, acne, cuts, blisters, rosacea, and eczema. The advanced cellular silver and alpha-lipoic acid make it perfect for inflamed and sensitive skin.
Here are some of the benefits of using Restorative Gel before and after your treatments:
- Reduces pain: Anti-inflammatory gel can help reduce pain during the procedure. This can make laser hair removal more comfortable, especially for those with sensitive skin.
- Minimizes inflammation: Laser hair removal can cause some inflammation in the treated area, which can lead to redness, swelling, and discomfort. Anti-inflammatory gels can help to reduce this inflammation and prevent these symptoms.
- Promotes healing: Anti-inflammatory gels can also help to promote healing after the procedure by reducing inflammation and irritation. This can help to minimize scarring and other long-term effects of the procedure.
Advanced cellular silver, also known as colloidal silver, is a liquid suspension of tiny silver particles in water. It has been used for centuries for its health benefits, including its ability to prevent infections and promote healing. In the context of laser hair removal, advanced cellular silver may have several potential benefits:
- Antibacterial and antiviral properties: Advanced cellular silver has been shown to have antibacterial and antiviral properties, which may help to prevent infection in the treated area after laser hair removal. By applying advanced cellular silver to the treated area, you may be able to reduce the risk of infection and promote healing.
- Anti-inflammatory properties: Advanced cellular silver has also been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties, which can help to reduce inflammation and irritation in the treated area. This can help to minimize discomfort and promote healing after the procedure.
- Wound healing: Advanced cellular silver has been used for centuries as a natural wound healer. By applying advanced cellular silver to the treated area after laser hair removal, you may be able to promote faster healing and reduce the risk of scarring.
Our Restorative Gel is on sale until June 30th, 2023! Use the code BLOGRG20 during checkout to get 20% off your product order. Try it now to see why our clients love using Restorative Gel to prepare for their laser hair removal treatments and to help calm, heal, and soothe their skin after.
Taking care of your skin before and after laser hair removal is important to ensure that the procedure is effective and safe. By following the tips provided above, you can help to reduce the risk of side effects, promote healing, and achieve the best results possible.